SPMC, also known as Semper Media Center, is an open-source media software similar to Kodi. It was developed by a member of the developer team of Kodi. Therefore, SPMC was built on the same source code as Kodi. Its user interface is similar to that of Kodi, allowing you to stream movies, TV shows, and live TV on your device. It also lets you view 3D files along with a voice search feature. SPMC was designed to fit Android devices like Firestick, Android TV, Fire TV, NVIDIA Shield TV, and others.
How to install SPMC on Amazon Firestick
SPMC isn’t officially available on the Amazon App Store, which means you will have to sideload the app on your Firestick. The process is relatively simple:
To sideload an app on Firestick, you will first have to allow your device to install apps from unknown sources. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Launch your Firestick.
- Navigate to Settings on your Home screen.
- Select My Fire TV and then click on Developer options.
- Now scroll down and select the Apps from the Unknown Sources option to turn it on. The ‘OFF’ text underneath should read ‘ON’ now.
Now, there are two ways to install SPMC on Firestick. One uses the Downloader app, and the other uses the ES File Explorer. Both the methods are explained in detail below:
Download and install SPMC on Firestick via the Downloader app
To install SPMC on Firestick using the Downloader app, you will first have to install the Downloader app from the Amazon Play Store. If you already have the Downloader app installed, skip this step and proceed with the steps ahead. If you don’t have the Downloader app installed, go to the Amazon Play Store and search ‘Downloader’ in the search bar. Click on the app that appears and install it. Once the app is installed, follow the steps below:
- Open the Downloader app.
- Select Yes in the confirmation message to enable the option.
- Now, navigate to Home in the left sidebar to get to the home screen.
- You’ll see a message instructing you to enter a URL.
- Enter the URL https://bit.ly/3Oxjh8S in the address bar and select Go.
- The app will start to download. Once the download is finished, click Next and then select Install to begin the installation.
- After installing the app, click Open to launch SPMC on your device.
- If you wish to open it later, you can find it under Your Apps & Channels on your Firestick.
Download and install SPMC on Firestick via ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer is a file management app popular among Fire Stick users. This app is frequently used as a downloader for sideloading third-party apps. ES File Explorer is available on the Amazon Play Store. Go to the Amazon Play Store and search ‘ES File Explorer’ in the search bar. Click on the app that comes up in the suggestions and install it. Once you have installed ES File Explorer on your Firestick, follow the steps below:
- Open ES File Explorer.
- Navigate to the Downloader icon on the home screen and click on it.
- You’ll see a +New icon at the bottom of the screen. Select it.
- A new small window will appear showing a Path field and Name field text box. Enter the URL https://bit.ly/3Oxjh8S in the path field text box, and type SPMC in the name field text box. Click on Download Now at the bottom to begin the downloading.
- Once the download is finished, select Open File.
- Now click on Install in the next window for the installation to begin.
- Once the app is installed, click Open to launch the app right away. If you wish to access it later, you can find the app under your Apps & Channels section on your Firestick.
Once you have installed SPMC on your Firestick, you can make a few changes to make its performance even better. The changes we mention below are personalized to improve SPMC’s performance on Firestick.
Before getting into it, go to System on your Fire Stick and select Settings. You will find another System button, click on it and then scroll down to select Settings level. Click on it until the system level changes to Expert.
Now, follow the below changes to configure SPMC on your Firestick:
Now go back to the Settings tab and navigate to Audio input and make the following changes:
- Go to Audio output device and change it to ‘Android, RAW Passthrough.’
- Set the Number of channels to ‘7.1’. This will get you 7.1 surround sound on your speakers. It should also work fine if you wish to use your standard TV stereo speakers.
- Set your Output configuration to ‘Best match.’ Doing this will automatically reroute your video’s audio to the new output device if you change it. (For example, if you connect your speakers or headphones to your Firestick during a movie).
- Select Enable passthrough to turn it on. Turning this option will make your TV recognize encoded audio like Dolby Digital or DTS instead of waiting for SPMC to do it.
- Set Passthrough output device to ‘Android, RAW Passthrough.’
Go back to the Settings tab, scroll up to the Video tab, and click on the Settings level option until it sets to ‘Expert.’
Now, back out of the video tab and select the Playback tab from the left sidebar and make the following changes:
- Select Adjust display refresh rate and set it to ‘On start/ stop.’
- Set Pause during refresh rate change to three seconds.
These changes will remove the soap-opera effect from your TV and make 60fps videos appear smoother.
Navigate to the Acceleration tab now and enable Hardware Acceleration. If this option makes your videos stutter/buffer, disable the option instantly. You can also try setting the Accelerate MPEG2 and Accelerate h264 options to ‘Always.’
Like Kodi, SPMC is also full of free add-ons. After you have installed and configured SPMC following our guide, install your desired add-ons to enhance your experience. You can install multiple official and third-party add-ons to stream your favorite movies, TV shows, and live TV channels. While streaming on SPMC, use a VPN for a secure and speedy streaming experience. Since SPMC is specially built to work best on Android devices, it’s the best alternative to Kodi on Fire Stick.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use SPMC as an alternative for Kodi?
SPMC is the perfect alternative for Kodi. The app was built by a past developer of Kodi, which is why SPMC has the same source code as Kodi. The only significant difference between the two is that SPMC was made for Android devices.
Is SPMC a multi-platform app?
No, SPMC is not a multi-platform app. Although it’s built as an alternative to Kodi, which can be used on multiple devices, SPMC can only be used on Android devices.
What can I watch with SPMC?
You can stream all kinds of content on SPMC, including your favorite movies, TV shows, live TV, sports channels, news, and many more.